From Pete Greig 24-7 Prayer:
A Blessing for Mothers –
For many people, especially many women, one of the loveliest days in the year is also one of the loneliest. Since it is #mothersday (Sunday 19th March*) in many countries let’s pray today for mums.
Lord, for mothers today, we pray joy –
- for orphans, comfort.
- for not-yet mothers, hope.
- for single mothers, grace.
- for the lonely, family.
May there be moments of comfort and hope today for –
- the mothers of prodigals,
- the mothers who’ve lost children,
- the mothers who don’t know where their children are
- the mothers of Ukraine who’s hearts are surely breaking.
May the embrace of grace displace shame –
- for mothers in prison,
- for mothers who feel they’ve failed,
- for mothers who can’t be with their kids
- for mothers trying to forget a termination.
May those who never held their own child, for whom today may be sadder than it is happy, know the love and joy of parenting in the family of God, for “As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted.” Isaiah 66:13
And finally Lord, for all those poor souls everywhere who forgot that this is #MothersDay*, we ask that you would bless them, in your abundant grace and manifold mercy, with the discovery of daffodils and half-decent cards in surprisingly well-stocked convenience stores.
* the precise date of Mothers’ Day or ‘Mothering Sunday’ varies around the world. In many countries, including UK, Nigeria and Ireland, it is anchored in the Christian calendar as the fourth Sunday in Lent.
Janke Ferlič // @unsplash